Meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) is outlined by the Tear Movie and Ocular Floor Society (TFOS) as
a persistent, diffuse abnormality of the meibomian glands, generally characterised by terminal duct obstruction and/or qualitative/quantitative adjustments within the glandular secretion … [that] might end in alteration of the tear movie, signs of eye irritation, clinically obvious irritation, and ocular floor illness
and will be the main reason for dry eye illness all through the world.1 Its prevalence ranges from ~4–20% in Caucasian populations and will have an effect on greater than 60% of some Asian populations.1
As a result of a paucity of well-designed and appropriately powered medical research, the medical strategy to MGD is neither standardized nor evidence-based. Lid hygiene, coupled with lid warming and compression, are generally advisable, however directions by suppliers and methods employed by sufferers differ considerably. Antibiotics with or with out steroids are additionally generally prescribed, with a meta-analysis demonstrating the advantages of topical azithromycin on short-term enchancment of tear movie high quality2 and a number of other research demonstrating enhancements in tear movie inflammatory mediators, gland expressibility, and/or medical signs with the usage of topical corticosteroids.3–5
Built-in methods using a mix of warmth and directed strain on the eyelids to facilitate expression of meibum from inspissated or blocked meibomian glands have been developed and commercialized for the remedy of MGD.6 One such system (LipiFlow, Johnson & Johnson) is designed to heat the lid to melt and liquify meibum and compress the lid with a sequence of peristaltic proximal-to-distal pulses to specific liquified meibum from dysfunctional glands. In its pivotal trial and subsequent research, this remedy considerably improved each meibomian gland operate and medical signs of ocular floor illness.6–10
We have now carried out a potential subject-masked trial to match the consequences of thermal pulsation remedy with the LipiFlow system with or with out the dexamethasone intracanalicular insert (Dextenza, Ocular Therapeutix) on the indicators and signs of MGD. The insert is a rod-shaped hydrogel matrix incorporating 0.4 mg preservative-free dexamethasone, is positioned within the canaliculus, and offers sustained-release supply of dexamethasone to the ocular floor for 30 days.11–13 It’s at the moment permitted in america for the management of postoperative ache and irritation following ocular surgical procedure.14
This was a single-center, open-label, potential, non-randomized, subject-masked, sham-controlled trial. The protocol was reviewed and permitted by the Western IRB on 7/2/2020. The examine was registered at ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT04413279) on 6/2/2020. Contributors have been enrolled between 8/5/2020 and 4/14/2021; all individuals supplied written knowledgeable consent. The examine was carried out in accordance with the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki.15
Eligible topics have been adults aged 18 years or older with historical past of evaporative dry eye illness, meibomian gland dysfunction, and clinically vital irritation as evidenced by ocular floor staining and/or conjunctival hyperemia and/or elevated MMP-9 ranges. Exclusion standards included ocular or nonocular an infection, compromised nasolacrimal circulation, or concurrent use of or contraindications to corticosteroids. Consecutive eligible topics have been invited to take part within the examine.
All topics underwent a medical analysis to determine eligibility consisting of uncorrected and best-corrected visible acuity (UCVA and BCVA), meibomian gland evaluation, tear movie osmolarity (TearLab) and matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP-9; Inflammadry, Quidel) evaluation, corneal fluorescein and conjunctival lissamine inexperienced staining, tear break-up time (TBUT), intraocular strain (IOP), and a dilated eye examination. Meibomian gland evaluation mirrored the methodology within the pivotal LipiFlow trial10 and consisted of grading the standard of meibum expression from 15 glands alongside the decrease eyelid, 5 every from the temporal, central, and nasal areas, and every graded on a 0–3 scale as follows: 3, clear liquid secretions; 2, cloudy liquid secretions; 1, inspissated/toothpaste consistency; and 0, no secretions. A composite meibomian gland expressibility rating starting from 0 to 45 (with decrease scores representing worse illness) was tabulated by summing the grades of all 15 glands assessed. Corneal fluorescein staining was graded from 0 to three (none to heavy staining) in 5 areas (superior, inferior, nasal, temporal, and central) and summed for a corneal staining rating. Conjunctival lissamine inexperienced staining was graded on the identical 0–3 scale in 6 areas (3 nasal and three temporal) and summed for a conjunctival staining rating. Corneal and conjunctival scores have been summed to supply an general ocular floor staining rating. Topics additionally accomplished the validated DEQ-5 Dry Eye Questionnaire, which characterizes the presence and severity of ocular discomfort, dryness, and watering; attainable scores vary from 0 to 22 with greater scores representing worse signs.16
Qualifying topics underwent bilateral thermal pulsation remedy with the LipiFlow system 1–30 days later. The process has been described intimately beforehand8–10 and was carried out in accordance with the producer’s instructions. Briefly, below topical anesthesia, the activator was positioned on the attention such that the corneal protect rested on the ocular floor (vaulting the cornea to guard it from warmth) and the inflatable bladder rested on the lid floor. Over a 12-minute remedy interval, the lids have been gently heated and expressed with repeated vectored strain pulses. Following the process, the DEX insert was positioned within the inferior canaliculus of the extra symptomatic eye (the DEX group), and the inferior punctum of the man eye was dilated utilizing a punctal dilator to imitate insert placement to realize affected person masking to remedy (the SHAM group). No anti-inflammatory remedy was utilized to the SHAM eye in the course of the examine, though sufferers have been permitted to proceed heat compresses and lid scrubs in both or each eyes at their discretion, and to proceed routine dry eye remedies akin to topical immunomodulators and/or oral omega fatty acid dietary supplements. Topics have been re-evaluated 1, 4, and 12 weeks later, at which era all assessments listed above have been repeated and security assessed. Moreover at week 12, topics accomplished the validated Comparisons of Ophthalmic Drugs for Tolerability (COMTOL) questionnaire17 tailored for the remedies utilized on this examine.
The primary key consequence measure of this examine was the change from baseline in meibomian gland expressibility scores at weeks 1, 4, and 12 and was in contrast between remedy teams utilizing paired t-tests as between-group information have been drawn from correlated fellow-eye pairs. The second key consequence measure was affected person choice for remedy as measured by the COMTOL instrument at week 12. Secondary outcomes included imply adjustments in BCVA, tear movie osmolarity, MMP-9 positivity charges, ocular floor staining scores, TBUT, and DEQ-5 scores from baseline to weeks 1, 4, and 12; these have been additionally analyzed utilizing paired t-tests apart from the dichotomous MMP-9 parameter for which the Fisher Actual Take a look at was utilized. Security outcomes included the character and incidence of adversarial occasions. No formal energy evaluation was carried out a priori; quite, a comfort pattern in line with current prior research of comparable design and function (40 eyes of 20 topics) was chosen.18–20
General, 20 topics have been enrolled. No sufferers had beforehand undergone microblepharoexfoliation, thermal pulsation, or intense pulsed gentle remedy up to now 12 months. Their imply (customary deviation) age was 59.2 (11.1) years, 18/20 (90%) have been feminine, and 19/20 (95%) recognized themselves as white. DEX insertion was not attainable in 1 topic who was excluded from all outcomes analyses; all different topics accomplished the trial.
Imply meibomian gland expressibility scores and different outcomes information at every time level are given in Desk 1. In DEX-treated eyes, vital enhancements from baseline have been seen in meibomian gland expressibility scores at post-treatment time factors (P<0.0001), ocular floor staining scores at 1 (P=0.035) and 4 weeks (P<0.001), and TBUT in any respect time factors (P<0.037). In SHAM-treated eyes, vital enhancements from baseline have been seen in expressibility scores in any respect time factors (P<0.0001) and TBUT at week 4 (P=0.020). Considerably larger enhancements have been seen in DEX eyes in comparison with SHAM eyes for expressibility scores at 12 weeks (P=0.027), ocular floor staining rating at 4 weeks (P=0.028), and TBUT at 12 weeks (P=0.028). In each remedy teams, the speed of MMP-9 positivity decreased by 16–46% throughout all visits; these weren’t vital adjustments inside or between teams. Considerably larger enhancements in SHAM eyes in comparison with DEX eyes weren’t seen for any parameters at any time level.
Desk 1 Meibomian Gland Expressibility Scores and Different Endpoint Knowledge by Remedy Group and Time Level
Symptom scores on the DEQ-5 improved from baseline at every post-treatment go to. Imply DEQ-5 scores have been 12.3 (4.4) at baseline, 11.1 (4.7) at week 1 (P=0.132), 10.3 (5.1) at week 4 (P=0.078), and 9.1 (5.9) at week 12 (P=0.019). The DEQ-5 is an individual-level and never eye-level instrument and can’t assess variations between eyes. The COMTOL instrument, nonetheless, is designed to match remedy experiences in topics uncovered to each remedies. Of the 18 topics reporting a remedy choice utilizing the COMTOL instrument, 11 (61.1%) most popular LipiFlow with DEX and seven (38.9%) most popular LipiFlow with SHAM. One topic reported no choice between remedies.
Each the thermal pulsation remedy and the DEX insert have been secure and effectively tolerated on this pattern. No adversarial occasions have been famous in both group. Imply BCVA and IOP remained steady all through follow-up (Desk 2). No sufferers had an IOP rise >10 mmHg; a single affected person had an 8-mm IOP rise within the eye receiving DEX from 15 mmHg at baseline to 23 mmHg at week 4 that resolved with out intervention.
Desk 2 Finest-Corrected Visible Acuity (BCVA) and Intraocular Strain (IOP) Security Knowledge by Remedy Group and Time Level
On this potential, sham-controlled, non-randomized examine, thermal pulsation remedy + DEX supplied considerably larger enchancment in meibomian gland expressibility and TBUT at 12 weeks and in ocular floor staining at 4 weeks in comparison with thermal pulsation remedy + SHAM. The bulk (61%) of sufferers present process thermal pulsation lid remedy for symptomatic MGD most popular mixed remedy with the DEX insert over sham remedy (39%). The interventions assessed on this examine have been secure and effectively tolerated by all examine individuals.
The therapeutic advantages of thermal pulsation lid remedy on symptomatic MGD have been completely characterised within the literature6,8,10,21–41 and a meta-analysis demonstrated its superiority over heat compress remedy for treating dry eye illness.42 The good thing about corticosteroid remedy for MGD is much less effectively characterised. Typically, transient remedy with steroids are helpful within the setting of acute inflammatory flares of ocular floor illness, whereas the long-term unintended effects of steroids—together with elevated IOP and cataract formation—preclude their persistent use.43–45
The DEX insert is a formulation of dexamethasone designed for sustained-release drug supply over a 30-day interval.11–13 It’s permitted in america for the management of ache and irritation following ocular surgical procedure,14 and its position in postoperative care has been demonstrated following cataract extraction in adults11,12,46–48 and youngsters,49 pars plana vitrectomy,20 in addition to refractive surgical procedures.18,19,50 Section 2 and three trials have additionally evaluated DEX for persistent irritation related to allergic conjunctivitis and reported short-term enhancements in itching and conjunctival hyperemia.51–53 Given the position of irritation in MGD, we hypothesized on this examine that DEX might present further therapeutic profit when mixed with thermal pulsation remedy for MGD. The DEX insert has a number of options to assist this speculation. First, it offers short-term pulsed remedy with a diminishing dose over time to attenuate problems associated to IOP and cataract formation54,55 and with minimal systemic absorption.56 Second, it’s preservative-free, which is vital given the pro-inflammatory nature of preservatives in ophthalmic formulations and their adversarial results on ocular floor illness.57 Third, its anti-inflammatory mechanism of motion is complementary to that of thermal pulsation remedy, favoring additivity of efficacy.
On this examine, each remedy teams demonstrated vital enhancements in meibomian gland expressibility, however the enchancment was considerably larger in eyes handled with thermal pulsation remedy + DEX. Equally, TBUT was considerably improved within the DEX (however not the SHAM) group at 12 weeks, and ocular floor staining was improved within the DEX (however not the SHAM) group at week 4. All the vital within-group adjustments from baseline indicated enchancment, and all vital between-group variations favored mixture remedy with DEX. This was an anticipated consequence of the examine, as prior research supported the advantages of corticosteroid remedy for MGD.3–5 Thus it’s possible that affected person choice favored mixture remedy given the higher outcomes on this group.
Strengths of this examine embody its potential nature in addition to the usage of sham remedy for topic masking. Limitations embody each a comparatively small pattern measurement and a brief examine length given the persistent nature of MGD.
In abstract, now we have demonstrated a big profit of mixing thermal pulsation remedy with the dexamethasone intracanalicular insert on indicators of MGD together with TBUT and meibomian gland expressibility rating. Consequently, the vast majority of sufferers most popular mixture remedy to thermal pulsation remedy alone.
Knowledge Sharing Assertion
The investigators will contemplate cheap requests for sharing of the de-identified information set upon request to the corresponding writer.
Sponsorship for this examine was supplied by Ocular Therapeutix.
Dr Damon S Dierker studies grants and private charges from Ocular Therapeutix, in the course of the conduct of the examine; private charges from Aerie, Alcon, Allergan, Azura, Bio-Tissue, Eyevance, Johnson & Johnson, Kala Prescription drugs, Lumenis, Novartis, Oyster Level Pharma, Quidel, ScienceBased Well being, Scope, Sight Sciences, Solar Pharma, Tarsus, TearLab, and Thea Prescription drugs, exterior the submitted work. Dr Scott G Hauswirth studies private charges from Ocular Therapeutix, in the course of the conduct of the examine; private charges from Dompe, Kala Prescription drugs, Solar Prescription drugs, Takeda, Oyster Level, Sight Sciences, Horizon Prescription drugs, and NuSight Medical; non-financial assist from TearRestore and Science Primarily based Well being for advisory work, exterior the submitted work. The authors report no different conflicts of curiosity on this work.
1. Nichols KK, Foulks GN, Bron AJ, et al. The worldwide workshop on meibomian gland dysfunction: government abstract. Make investments Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52(4):1922–1929. doi:10.1167/iovs.10-6997a
2. Tao T, Tao L. Systematic evaluate and meta-analysis of treating meibomian gland dysfunction with azithromycin. Eye. 2020;34(10):1797–1808. doi:10.1038/s41433-020-0876-2
3. Ko JS, Website positioning Y, Chae MK, Jang SY, Yoon JS. Impact of topical loteprednol etabonate with lid hygiene on tear cytokines and meibomian gland dysfunction in prosthetic eye wearers. Eye. 2018;32(2):439–445. doi:10.1038/eye.2017.213
4. Lee H, Chung B, Kim KS, Website positioning KY, Choi BJ, Kim TI. Results of topical loteprednol etabonate on tear cytokines and medical outcomes in average and extreme meibomian gland dysfunction: randomized medical trial. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014;158(6):1172–1183 e1. doi:10.1016/j.ajo.2014.08.015
5. Akyol-Salman I, Azizi S, Mumcu UY, Ates O, Baykal O. Comparability of the Efficacy of Topical N-Acetyl-Cysteine and a Topical Steroid-Antibiotic Mixture Remedy within the Remedy of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2011;1:43. doi:10.1089/jop.2010.0110
6. Tauber J, Owen J, Bloomenstein M, Hovanesian J, Bullimore MA. Comparability of the iLUX and the LipiFlow for the Remedy of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction and Signs: a Randomized Scientific Trial. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2020;14:405–418. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S234008
7. Finis D, Konig C, Hayajneh J, Borrelli M, Schrader S, Geerling G. Six-month results of a thermodynamic remedy for MGD and implications of meibomian gland atrophy. Randomized Managed Trial. Cornea. 2014;33(12):1265–1270. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000000273
8. Greiner JV. Lengthy-term (12-month) enchancment in meibomian gland operate and diminished dry eye signs with a single thermal pulsation remedy. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013;41(6):524–530. doi:10.1111/ceo.12033
9. Greiner JV. A single LipiFlow(R) Thermal Pulsation System remedy improves meibomian gland operate and reduces dry eye signs for 9 months. Present Eye Analysis. 2012;37(4):272–278. doi:10.3109/02713683.2011.631721
10. Lane SS, DuBiner HB, Epstein RJ, et al. A brand new system, the LipiFlow, for the remedy of meibomian gland dysfunction. Cornea. 2012;31(4):396–404. doi:10.1097/ICO.0b013e318239aaea
11. Tyson SL, Bafna S, Gira JP, et al. Multicenter randomized Section 3 examine of a sustained-release intracanalicular dexamethasone insert for remedy of ocular irritation and ache after cataract surgical procedure. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2019;45(2):204–212. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2018.09.023
12. Walters T, Bafna S, Vold S, et al. Efficacy and Security of Sustained Launch Dexamethasone for the Remedy of Ocular Ache and Irritation after Cataract Surgical procedure: outcomes from Two Section 3 Research. J Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2016;7:1–11.
13. Lee A, Blair HA. Dexamethasone Intracanalicular Insert: a Overview in Treating Publish-Surgical Ocular Ache and Irritation. Medicine. 2020;80(11):1101–1108. doi:10.1007/s40265-020-01344-6
14. Ocular Therapeutix, Inc. Dextenza. Highlights of Prescribing Info. Out there from: https://www.dextenza.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/NDA-208742-S001-Dextenza-labeling-19Jun19.pdf.
15. World Medical A. World Medical Affiliation Declaration of Helsinki: moral ideas for medical analysis involving human topics. JAMA. 2013;310(20):2191–2194. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.281053
16. Chalmers RL, Begley CG, Caffery B. Validation of the 5-Merchandise Dry Eye Questionnaire (DEQ-5): discrimination throughout self-assessed severity and aqueous tear poor dry eye diagnoses. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2010;33(2):55–60. doi:10.1016/j.clae.2009.12.010
17. Barber BL, Strahlman ER, Laibovitz R, Guess HA, Reines SA. Validation of a questionnaire for evaluating the tolerability of ophthalmic drugs. Ophthalmology. 1997;104(2):334–342.
18. Greenwood MD, Gorham RA, Boever KR. A Randomized Fellow-Eye Scientific Trial to Consider Affected person Desire for Dexamethasone Intracanalicular Insert or Topical Prednisolone Acetate for Management of Postoperative Signs Following Bilateral Femtosecond Laser in Website Keratomileusis (LASIK). Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2020;14:2223–2228. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S265311
19. Larsen J, Whitt T, Parker B, Swan R. A Randomized, Managed, Potential Examine of the Effectiveness and Security of an Intracanalicular Dexamethasone Ophthalmic Insert (0.4 Mg) for the Remedy of Publish-Operative Irritation in Sufferers Present process Refractive Lens Trade (RLE). Scientific Ophthalmol. 2021;15:2211–2217. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S311070
20. Suner IJ, Peden MC. Dexamethasone Sustained-Launch Intracanalicular Insert for Management of Postoperative Irritation After Pars Plana Vitrectomy. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2021;15:3859–3864. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S330255
21. Park J, Yoo YS, Shin Ok, et al. Results of Lipiflow Remedy Previous to Cataract Surgical procedure: a Potential, Randomized, Managed Examine: lipiflow previous to cataract surgical procedure. Am J Ophthalmol. 2021;1:34. doi:10.1016/j.ajo.2021.04.031
22. Chan AYY, Chuang JC, Wong VWY. Analysis of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Amongst Ophthalmic Healthcare Employees. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2021;15:1201–1206. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S299338
23. Zhao Y, Li J, Xue Ok, et al. Preoperative Administration of MGD with Vectored Thermal Pulsation earlier than Cataract Surgical procedure: a Potential, Managed Scientific Trial. Semin Ophthalmol. 2021;36(1–2):2–8. doi:10.1080/08820538.2021.1881567
24. Fallah S, Loer CJ. Results of Vectored Thermal Pulsation on Goal Tear Movie Measures. Cornea. 2021;12:76. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000002714
25. Li B, Fu H, Liu T, Xu M. Comparability of the therapeutic impact of Meibomian Thermal Pulsation LipiFlow(R) on obstructive and hyposecretory meibomian gland dysfunction sufferers. Int Ophthalmol. 2020;40(12):3469–3479. doi:10.1007/s10792-020-01533-y
26. Hura AS, Epitropoulos AT, Czyz CN, Rosenberg ED. Seen Meibomian Gland Construction Will increase After Vectored Thermal Pulsation Remedy in Dry Eye Illness Sufferers with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Scientific Ophthalmol. 2020;14:4287–4296. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S282081
27. Matossian C. Impression of Thermal Pulsation Remedy on Astigmatism Administration and Outcomes in Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Sufferers Present process Cataract Surgical procedure. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2020;14:2283–2289. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S263046
28. Tauber J. A 6-Week, Potential, Randomized, Single-Masked Examine of Lifitegrast Ophthalmic Resolution 5% Versus Thermal Pulsation Process for Remedy of Inflammatory Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Cornea. 2020;39(4):403–407. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000002235
29. Hagen KB, Bedi R, Blackie CA, Christenson-Akagi KJ. Comparability of a single-dose vectored thermal pulsation process with a 3-month course of every day oral doxycycline for moderate-to-severe meibomian gland dysfunction. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2018;12:161–168. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S150433
30. Godin MR, Stinnett SS, Gupta PK. Outcomes of Thermal Pulsation Remedy for Dry Eye Syndrome in Sufferers With Sjogren Illness. Cornea. 2018;37(9):1155–1158. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000001621
31. Blackie CA, Coleman CA, Nichols KK, et al. A single vectored thermal pulsation remedy for meibomian gland dysfunction will increase imply comfy contact lens carrying time by roughly 4 hours per day. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2018;12:169–183. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S153297
32. Epitropoulos AT, Goslin Ok, Bedi R, Blackie CA. Meibomian gland dysfunction sufferers with novel Sjogren’s syndrome biomarkers profit considerably from a single vectored thermal pulsation process: a retrospective evaluation. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2017;11:701–706. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S119926
33. Schallhorn CS, Schallhorn JM, Hannan S, Schallhorn SC. Effectiveness of an Eyelid Thermal Pulsation Process to Deal with Recalcitrant Dry Eye Signs After Laser Imaginative and prescient Correction. J Refract Surg. 2017;33(1):30–36. doi:10.3928/1081597X-20161006-05
34. Kim MJ, Stinnett SS, Gupta PK. Impact of thermal pulsation remedy on tear movie parameters in dry eye illness sufferers. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2017;11:883–886. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S136203
35. Gibbons A, Waren D, Yesilirmak N, et al. Ocular Floor Parameters Predicting Affected person Satisfaction After a Single Vectored Thermal Pulsation Process for Administration of Symptomatic Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Cornea. 2017;36(6):679–683. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000001196
36. Zhao Y, Veerappan A, Yeo S, et al. Scientific Trial of Thermal Pulsation (LipiFlow) in Meibomian Gland Dysfunction With Preteatment Meibography. Eye Contact Lens. 2016;42(6):339–346. doi:10.1097/ICL.0000000000000228
37. Blackie CA, Coleman CA, Holland EJ. The sustained impact (12 months) of a single-dose vectored thermal pulsation process for meibomian gland dysfunction and evaporative dry eye. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2016;10:1385–1396. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S109663
38. Greiner JV. Lengthy-Time period (3 12 months) Results of a Single Thermal Pulsation System Remedy on Meibomian Gland Perform and Dry Eye Signs. Eye Contact Lens. 2016;42(2):99–107. doi:10.1097/ICL.0000000000000166
39. Satjawatcharaphong P, Ge S, Lin MC. Scientific Outcomes Related to Thermal Pulsation System Remedy. Optom Vis Sci. 2015;92(9):e334–41. doi:10.1097/OPX.0000000000000670
40. Blackie CA, Carlson AN, Korb DR. Remedy for meibomian gland dysfunction and dry eye signs with a single-dose vectored thermal pulsation: a evaluate. Present Opinion in Ophthalmology. 2015;26(4):306–313. doi:10.1097/ICU.0000000000000165
41. Finis D, Hayajneh J, Konig C, Borrelli M, Schrader S, Geerling G. Analysis of an automatic thermodynamic remedy (LipiFlow(R)) system for meibomian gland dysfunction: a potential, randomized, observer-masked trial. Randomized Managed Trial. Ocul Surf. 2014;12(2):146–154. doi:10.1016/j.jtos.2013.12.001
42. Pang SP, Chen YT, Tam KW, Lin IC, Loh EW. Efficacy of Vectored Thermal Pulsation and Heat Compress Remedies in Meibomian Gland Dysfunction: a Meta-Evaluation of Randomized Managed Trials. Cornea. 2019;38(6):690–697. doi:10.1097/ICO.0000000000001907
43. Sabeti S, Kheirkhah A, Yin J, Dana R. Administration of meibomian gland dysfunction: a evaluate. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2020;65(2):205–217. doi:10.1016/j.survophthal.2019.08.007
44. Thode AR, Latkany RA. Present and Rising Therapeutic Methods for the Remedy of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD). Medicine. 2015;75(11):1177–1185. doi:10.1007/s40265-015-0432-8
45. Geerling G, Tauber J, Baudouin C, et al. The worldwide workshop on meibomian gland dysfunction: report of the subcommittee on administration and remedy of meibomian gland dysfunction. Make investments Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52(4):2050–2064. doi:10.1167/iovs.10-6997g
46. Gira JP, Sampson R, Silverstein SM, Walters TR, Metzinger JL, Talamo JH. Evaluating the affected person expertise after implantation of a 0.4 mg sustained launch dexamethasone intracanalicular insert (Dextenza): outcomes of a qualitative survey. Affected person Desire and Adherence. 2017;11:487–494. doi:10.2147/PPA.S126283
47. Walters T, Endl M, Elmer TR, Levenson J, Majmudar P, Masket S. Sustained-release dexamethasone for the remedy of ocular irritation and ache after cataract surgical procedure. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2015;41(10):2049–2059. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2015.11.005
48. Stephenson PDG. Actual-world analysis of postoperative in-office Dexamethasone intracanalicular insert administration for management of postoperative irritation following cataract surgical procedure. J Clin Ophthalmol. 2020;4(3):273–278.
49. Trivedi RH, Wilson ME. A sustained-release intracanalicular dexamethasone insert (Dextenza) for pediatric cataract surgical procedure. J AAPOS. 2021;25(1):43–45. doi:10.1016/j.jaapos.2020.10.001
50. Ibach MJ, Shafer BM, Wallin DD, et al. and Security of Dextenza 0.4 mg for the Remedy of Postoperative Irritation and Ache in Sufferers After Photorefractive Keratectomy: the RESTORE Trial. J Refract Surg. 2021;37(9):590–594. doi:10.3928/1081597X-20210610-05
51. McLaurin EB, Evans D, Repke CS, et al. Section 3 Randomized Examine of Efficacy and Security of a Dexamethasone Intracanalicular Insert in Sufferers With Allergic Conjunctivitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2021;229:288–300. doi:10.1016/j.ajo.2021.03.017
52. Kenyon KR, McLaurin E, Silverstein S. Section 3 Trial Evaluating an Intracanalicular Dexamethasone Insert (0.4 mg) for the Remedy of Sufferers with Allergic Conjunctivitis.
53. Torkildsen G, Abelson MB, Gomes PJ, McLaurin E, Potts SL, Mah FS. Car-Managed, Section 2 Scientific Trial of a Sustained-Launch Dexamethasone Intracanalicular Insert in a Continual Allergen Problem Mannequin. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2017;33(2):79–90. doi:10.1089/jop.2016.0154
54. Blizzard C, Desai A, Driscoll A. Pharmacokinetic Research of Sustained-Launch Depot of Dexamethasone in Beagle Canines. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2016;32(9):595–600. doi:10.1089/jop.2016.0025
55. Driscoll A, Blizzard C. Toxicity and Pharmacokinetics of Sustained-Launch Dexamethasone in Beagle Canines. Adv Ther. 2016;33(1):58–67. doi:10.1007/s12325-015-0280-7
56. Blizzard C, McLaurin EB, Driscoll A, et al. Plasma Pharmacokinetic Parameters of Dexamethasone Following Administration of a Dexamethasone Intracanalicular Insert in Wholesome Adults. Scientific Ophthalmology (Auckland, NZ. 2021;15:2055–2061. doi:10.2147/OPTH.S307194
57. Goldstein MH, Silva FQ, Blender N, Tran T, Vantipalli S. Ocular benzalkonium chloride publicity: issues and options. Eye. 2021;1:56. doi:10.1038/s41433-021-01668-x